Translate

Friday, May 31, 2013

A Sigh of Relief

I have just succeeded in getting EclecticallyJan back online!!!! It's a long way from what I want it to be, but it is, at least, back to what it was before my fiasco of the past month began. Oh yeah, and don't let anybody tell you an old dog can't learn any new tricks.

I have been a faithful user of Microsoft web design software for many years now. The problem is that technology has outgrown the programs. If you even have the option of turning on FrontPage extensions (in non-webmaster terms that means being able to set your account up so you can publish with the Microsoft program), I have now learned that almost anything you do with these new hosting companies corrupts the extensions. The solution is to uninstall the extensions, clean up the old extensions, and then re-install them. Sounds easy enough, doesn't it? Well, it's not! Because in the process of the clean-up you lose everything you've got and have to go back to square one. That means a lot of time and bandwidth if the site is bigger than just a few pages (as mine always turns out to be). So, tonight I have "sucked it up" and abandoned Microsoft FrontPage-based software. I will still be able to create and edit my pages with it, but from this day forward I will be uploading the data via FTP (File Transfer Protocol). This is something I have never enjoyed, but must admit it was as trouble free as I have ever experienced with the options Bluehost is providing. I am so glad I found this company! Here's a preview of the things that are important to me in a host, and the things I like about this company:

[6/6 - code removed - trying to get it to work on my sidebar]

Note: If you join Bluehost as a result of clicking on my banner, I will receive compensation. The good thing is that you, too, can become an affiliate and earn from your referrals!

Now I will bid you adieu, for the time being!