Translate

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Blogs & Tweets

I have just spent several hours clicking that little "Next Blog" link at the top of the pages, just to see what all is on this chain of unrelated, yet connected, folks' pages. Let me tell you -- there is some weird stuff out there! There is also good stuff, dull stuff, interesting stuff, boring stuff, old/outdated/abandoned stuff, just for starters! The conclusion I reached after all that looking and not finding a single thing that interested me beyond the last couple of posts? THE INTERNET IS W-A-Y TOO BIG!!! How on earth can one person have a blog or a website and expect dozens or hundreds or thousands to ever find them??? What can I, merely one of these electronic people do to bring you to me...and then to make you want to read on, and even return? How can I get you to join me as a follower or put me in your circle because you want to come back again and again to see what I'm talking about each time I post???

I know there is currently a "phase" of recipe interests booming. You can't enjoy your Facebook page because it's like looking for ads among the recipes of a huge cookbook just to find the personal posts. What is it with this? You know as well as I do that most people don't cook any more. Is it just wishful thinking, or what? I, honestly, do cook. I don't enjoy eating out more than maybe once or twice each month, if that much. I do give in and pick up a bucket of chicken or a burger meal on occasion, usually because I've been shopping and simply don't feel like cooking because of being tired. Those meals I don't enjoy -- I just enjoy the break from the kitchen they give me. No, I'm not a gourmet cook. I'm just a plain meat-and-potatoes country girl! It may not be the prettiest plate of food you'll ever sit down to, but it's a very rare occasion that it won't taste good enough to create a memory for you. Would you like to see an example?

We got together with some neighbors for an Easter feast this year.
That's one of four pans of my never-fail yeast rolls -- a triple recipe that day.

This recipe was handed down from an old French lady in Ville Platte, Louisiana. I say "old" because I got the recipe from a friend back in the early 1970's, and she said she got it from an old woman back then. There's no telling how many women have made these this way through the years. The instructions were given to me as we went because the cook who was mentoring me was trained without measurements. It was things like:
  1. the water has to be a temperature you feel and remember; warmer than straight tap water, but cooler than bath water
  2. the salt is how much of a large cooking spoon you cover to know you have just enough
  3. gradually add your flour, one cup at a time, until you have the correct consistency; again, only known through the experience of touch
You cannot put this recipe on Facebook and expect folks to be able to turn out this kind of bread! And just go ahead and tell me how many people you know who are going to plan their meal so that the oven is free for the twenty minutes of baking time after two rounds of two-hour risings (always works out to right at five hours from start to the table) so they hit the table butter-melting hot and perfectly coincide with the readiness of the rest of the meal?

And the local grocery store put chickens on sale the other day. I can't remember the last time I had bought a whole chicken and cut it up for frying, but I got a "hankering", so we had it -- and I cut it up the way my Mother did so we had all the old-fashioned pieces; legs, wings, split breast after the wishbone piece had been cut off first, etc. Let me tell you, there's not a store-bought, fast-food bucket of chicken anywhere in the world that can compare with that!

drenched in egg & milk batter
dredged in plain flour with salt & pepper in it
deep-fried to delicious perfection

See, I can cook -- but I can pretty well guarantee this is not ever going to evolve into a Justine Wilson page of recipes. There's plenty of those for you to salivate over on Facebook. If your friends don't put up enough of them to suit you, just run over and take a look at my page -- you'll find more than enough there to suit your fancy!

Okay, that's enough of that! Notice over on the right that I've now added my Twitter feed. It probably doesn't mean much to you, but it's important to me -- I was proud to find out how to do it! I would be honored to have you follow my Tweets. There's not really that many of them!

And now, I'm going to call it a night!