Translate

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Soapbox Time

Okay, okay, already!

I get so very tired, and even offended, at some of the things people post online -- particularly on Facebook. No, I'm not a "prude" or any kind of a "religious fanatic", but as a Christian I find it highly offensive when a person is laying claim to being a Christian one minute, and then in the next instant, often right beside the "I-love-Jesus" posts they just put up, adding things to their profiles that are anything but Christian in nature. These things, usually in the form of shared graphics, range from potty-mouth expletives about something they apparently feel strongly enough about to propagate to the downright profane. I suppose they avoid its bothering their conscience by it being something standing they perceive as standing for a "good cause", and it's not specifically anti-Christian, but the presentation is far distanced from anything one would read in God's Holy Word, the Bible.


So, to help with my own feelings of frustration with this, I created a Scriptural graphic about the way God said He feels about such practices. Posted it on my Facebook wall and it got all of eight likes. That's EIGHT likes out of 231 friends! And, yes, the majority of those friends will tell you they are a Christian. They will post the "I-love-Jesus" messages until you get tired of seeing them!


Why would you get tired of seeing them, you might ask? I get tired of them because I know these people. I know the hypocritical lives they are living, the lies they tell themselves. You can't be both hot and cold at the same time; you can't be both a good person and a not-so-good person at the same time. In the book of Revelation, to the church at Laodicea, it is written:

"I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth."
Revelation 3:15-16
New International Version

Then I pinned my graphic to TWO different boards in my Pinterest account. Re-pins? ZERO!!! I think perhaps there is truth in the words I shared. The truth is not popular. Lies are popular. Evil is popular. Perversion is popular. The real truth is not popular!

Now, guess what? Like it or not, I'm going to share this graphic with you! This was something I felt burdened to create for quite a while, and finally got it done. It's simple and plain, but it's brutally difficult for a true hypocrite to appreciate. I truly hope you are a Christian...a real Christian...and you appreciate this verse. If you don't like it, and if you think you are a Christian, I sincerely hope it will serve as a wake-up call for you to examine your heart on a deeper level than simply sharing a Christian post. If you are not a Christian, I accept that as being your choice, too. It won't affect the way I feel about you if I know you personally, nor will it change the way I relate to you.

(Click on the graphic to view full-sized.)

It would serve us all well to keep in mind that there are, more often than not, innocent eyes viewing the way we portray ourselves on this Internet. Just think about it. Would you want your child to view your Facebook wall...all of your posts? Would you want the Lord you claim to love to leave a comment on your status posts?

Thank you for reading this post. I'll get down off of my soapbox now. :)