Translate

Sunday, May 25, 2014

Memorial Day and Road Trips

We are in the midst of the Memorial Day weekend. This holiday means different things to different people. And I'm not going to talk about that today, for that very reason. What I have on my mind is the way this is the beginning of summer for most Americans. Schools are letting out for the summer breaks, people are firing up the outdoor grills, there is socializing, and there is travel.

We see a lot of people taking road trips of different duration's. I'm not one to travel much these days, but have put some miles behind me throughout the years. One of my favorite road trips was about a week long ride through Oklahoma along the historic Main Street America, U.S. Route 66. The memories have particularly surfaced today as I have been working on my Route 66 board in Pinterest, where I sorted through my pictures and pinned the best ones I had that I was willing to share.

Yes, I know there are thousands of pictures like this on the web,
but this is the one I took, making it uniquely mine!

This was my view for most of the trip,
enjoying being spoiled by being allowed to enjoy
most of the view from the front passenger's seat!

The weather was still nice and temps were comfortable,
but there was a little haze on this morning.
You can see how the road was developed here:
Original pavement is over to the right (not shown),
The replacement lanes were straight ahead,
and the bridge over to the left is the newest.

Here's the original road over to the right side.
(May not have been the same spot, because there were several similar places along the way.)

This is how the original bridges looked.

The famous round barn, taken with MY camera!

An old tourist stop along the way.

We made a few interesting side stops along the way, visiting places like the Cowboy Hall of Fame and the Will Rogers Museum and grave-site, along with some other museums and establishments of lesser note. All-in-all, it was an interesting and pleasurable trip. Not particularly wanting to go again, but glad we did this one.

As you are celebrating your Memorial Day weekend, no matter what your sentiments are, I hope you are having a pleasant holiday. Are you taking a road trip? Do you blog it? Leave a link for us in the comments section if you would like to share!