Translate

Saturday, May 7, 2016

THE TOUCH OF MAMA'S HANDS

When I was quite young,
And could not yet stand;
I learned the deep love
In my mama's hands.

There wasn't an ache;
No pain was so grand;
That it could not be soothed
By my sweet mama's hands.

It was something I knew,
Though not always acknowledged;
Her touch stirred my depths
When I was disheartened.

No foe could attack,
No pain overwhelm;
But Mama's soft touch
Would soon calm me down.

Then as I grew older,
And went on my way;
While Daddy and Mama
At home did both stay:

Years quickly passed by,
And my memory waned;
Of the comforting strength
In Mama's dear hands.

Our visits too often
Were entirely too few:
The infrequent greetings
Held a mere hug, or two.

Then came a day
When I visited home;
A fall on some pavement
Had broken a bone.

I shared it with Mama,
As her child would have done.
She simply reached out;
Laid her hand on my arm.

It was all unexpected;
   She was now more the child:
I could never have dreamed;
   My emotions ran wild!

My eyes were wide opened,
The memories rushed in;
As surprised by her touch
Those hands warmed me again!

The old peace flooded through me;
I was startled to find;
That same touch, long forgotten,
Thrilled my soul and my mind!

So, what will I remember,
Now she's joined Heaven's band?
Nothing ever compares to
The touch of Mama's hands!


5/31/09
Jan Howard
(written shortly after my mother's death)

My mother, Mavis Boyd Howard
Happy Mother's Day 2016
to a woman who is still dearly loved
and sorely missed on this earth!